-->

Thursday, February 10, 2011

February: My Favorite Month

Forget about the cold, February is my favorite month. I so look forward to see black history programming on my local PBS stations in Chicago: WTTW (aka Window To The World), WYCC (City Colleges of Chicago Public Television), & WYIN (Lakeshore Public Television).

Tuesday, I watched When I Rise, a documentary about Barbara Smith Conrad. "I am from east Texas: Center Point community...Rolling hills, red clay dirt, honeysuckle everywhere...this community was founded by five freedmen. One of them was my great grandfather...We sang all the time..."

Ms. Smith Conrad, with a voice to-die-for, was one of the first black students admitted to University of Texas at Austin. During an era of Jim Crow, she was dropped from a student opera, Dido and Aeneas. Life-changing events will take her across the globe, several times over, on an incredible odyssey.

Clip 1
Clip 2

No comments:

Post a Comment